Adjustable Action Centers

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 08:03:56 -0400

I have been doing a bit of work on an old square grand. The hammer flanges
are long and are split horizontally through the flange center. There is a
screw that can be turned to tighten/ loosen the bushing fit to the center
pin. I'm sure many or most of you have seen this. This is so cool. Is there
any significant disadvantage to such a design? I can see that with the
flange on the modern grand, size/space would limit the possibilities. Seems
like it would be worth some level of redesign to be able to adjust the
friction in this critical action center with the turn of a screw.

Terry Farrell