Brekne and Seiler Grand

Sun, 16 Sep 2001 17:00:12 -0700

Richard:

Good luck with this approach.  I am coming to the opinion that wippen =
assist springs should only be used when they are accompanied by an =
adjustment screw.  Unfortunately, they are not readily available with =
that configuration yet.  I know Tokiwa has one in place.  Hopefully, =
Renner will follow.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 16, 2001 2:18 PM
  Subject: Re: Brekne and Seiler Grand

  Hey there David ! I aggree... not much we can do about things right =
now... perhaps when the time comes we will have more to do then we can =
handle...but for now pianos is about what is in front of me to do.=20
  As for the Seiler. I decided on another straight forward job. I will =
even out the new hammers weights so that there SW curve starts around =
11,7 grams and end at about 5,4. Looking at a SWR of around 6.0 and =
useing the maximum FW's recommended by David. This will also mean a non =
whippen assist spring configuration.=20

  The main reason I want to do this is to gain a bit more practice at =
approaching the job from this angle. Basically I am specifying a SW =
curve for voicing concerns and BW for touchweight prefered by the =
instructor. Using the maximum front weight table included in the =
Stannwood kit assures then that the resulting SWR will be appropriate =
for the selected SW curve.=20

  I think later on when I get liscensed and get a bit more experience =
under my belt I will be able to decide on a lower FW table to reduce =
mass, while otherwise still accomplishing what I want with regards to =
SWs. Tho I think its going to be hard to avoid at some point using =
whippen assist springs. I know a lot of you guys like them, and I dont =
dislike them... its just that I want to first work without them for a =
while.=20

  Hope this answers your question. Hammers are all bored, and I will be =
starting the installation next week when the instructor is away for a =
few days.=20
   =20
   =20

  David Love wrote:=20

    Richard: Even amidst all this turmoil I feel the need to try and =
recapture some sense of normalcy.  Tell me, what did you decide to do =
about the Seiler weight problem. David Love
  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20
  RPT, N.P.T.F.=20
  Bergen, Norway=20