1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sun, 16 Sep 2001 22:38:38 -0500

>... why not a piano related topic?

Why not indeed?

>Are there any good books out there that give basic information
>for a neophyte piano technician on simple things concerning piano
>design and construction?

Not to my knowledge.

> Things like: what is the purpose of mutiple
>strings in a unison. Does it increase sustain, loudness, or decrease
>attack noise, etc.

This one is simple, obvious after the fact, and useless for anything more
sophisticated than the basic mechanics of the system. Soundboard response
is governed by the balance between the impedance of the soundboard assembly
and the mass, tension, downbearing, and frequency of the strings at any
given point in the scale. Low in the scale, the strings are few (ie one per
unison), and offer a high mass to move the soundboard at a low frequency as
well as a broad contact hammer area to minimize hammer  wear. Changing to
bichords, the string mass transition from monochords is (hopefully)
reasonably seamless, and the narrower hammer contact area of each
individual string is lessened, while the total area is doubled by the
second string, so the total contact area is at least somewhat similar to
the monochords. Meanwhile, the mass of the bichords at the
monochord/bichord transition is similar enough to the previous monochord
that (if you paid adequate attention to the unison tensions), you not only
won't hear the transition, but the hammer wear rate won't be appreciably
different across the break either because the unison string contact area to
the hammer will be similar. The same criteria applies at the transition
between wrapped bichords and plain trichords. Considering also that two
strings are louder than one, and three are louder than two (balancing
unison impedance against soundboard assembly impedance at that point in the
scale), the shorter string length unisons with less mass will need more
strings than the longer string unisons with more mass. Like I said - simple
in principle. Translating the whole mess into a workable soundboard
assembly/rib scale/string scale is a tad more complicated.

> How do you obtain a particular harmonic balance/
>sustain for a note played ppp through fff on a well designed piano
>through voicing.

Here's where Poker goes up. Voicing is only effective in the context of
what the string scaling and soundboard assembly design will give you to
play with. In other words, it ain't the voicing that makes the difference,
it's the soundboard and string scale that defines the limit of what you can
do with voicing. Voicing is just disaster control, in virtually all
instances. My experience is that voicing is for the most part unnecessary
when the string scale and soundboard assembly design are compatible.

>I am not aware of a proper treatise on such
>matters. If anyone could give a hint on where to find the knowledge that
>has been secured on any of these and like matters, I would be most
>appreciative.

As far as I know, it doesn't exist except as a do it yourself assembly
puzzle in the pianotech archives. Volumes have been written about just this
sort of stuff, but you will have to fit the pieces together for yourself to
make any sense of it.

Ron N