Square Grand Flanges/adjustable

Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:15:08 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 17, 2001 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: Square Grand Flanges/adjustable

> >I find it some interesting that, as we move into the 21st century, filled
> >with pride over our manufacturing expertise, that we find it impossible
> >manufacture efficiently something that was common in the 19th century.
> >
> >Del
>
> Now Del, you know they could be cranked out by the billions nearly as
> cheaply as current flanges within days, or weeks anyway, of someone
placing
> an order for billions of them. I have no doubt that someone, even as I
> write this, is standing by in anticipation of the order.

Oh, I know. It's just frustrating to be aware of so many good ideas that
came and went because manufacturing technology wasn't quite up to them yet.
Still they tried because there was this on-going effort to actually improve
the piano and make it more responsive to the musician.

During your visit here I think I forgot to show you the adjustable front and
center rail buttons I have. They appeared on a piano built in the 1870s.
They are quite simple, really--machining the wood shouldn't be all that
difficult. The could even be molded of plastic fairly easily. And they only
require one slightly special screw. Yet I've shown them to three key
manufacturers all of whom have told me they couldn't be made economically
today.

I'm sure you're right--if somebody ordered a couple of billion of them we
could have them Real Soon Now. Probably an ongoing order of a couple of
thousand a year should be enough. So, why isn't somebody ordering them? Oh,
yes, I forgot. They won't make the piano any cheaper.

Del