1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

Carl Meyer cmpiano@home.com
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 20:03:22 -0700

Kevin, I thought that was an interesting question.

. But I'm not quite clear on one matter. How is it
> that three strings are louder than two, are louder than one, given
> exactly the same energy input into the system?

It's a matter of efficiency.  There is an old rule that if you have a job to
be done.  Put one boy on the job and you'll get one boy output.  Put two
boys on the job and you get about one half boy output.  Put three boys on
the job and you wont get
anything done.

Now, piano strings are not boys.  If there is a finite amount of energy in
the hammer, one string will transfer a certain amount of that energy to the
string and then to the soundboard.  Certainly not 100 %.  A second string
will pick up additional energy and transfer that. Etc.  Sounds like a
mathematical night mare with all the variables involved.  If you think of it
as an efficiency problem it should help you to get the picture.  I don't
have a clue to the numbers, but the concept makes sense to me.  I'm sure our
resident gurus will elaborate on this point.  After you're done, you will
not have achieved 100% transfer of energy.  You never will.  Makes you
wonder how pianos ever work at all, doesn't it?