1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:12:50 -0500

> But I'm not quite clear on one matter. How is it
>that three strings are louder than two, are louder than one, given
>exactly the same energy input into the system?

Try it, if you have a piano you can abuse some. Take out a string spanning
two trichord unisons, leaving two strings in each. Then take out a string
providing two strings of a trichord unison, leaving one string. Retune as
necessary. Now play up and down the scale past those unisons and listen to
the volume changes. It's the string mass and unison tension mix that makes
the difference.

>From what area of the
>sound envelope is the energy taken, and distributed to where, to
>increase apparent loudness? Are attack and sustain areas modified
>through impedance/mass balancing to give a similar timbre/loudness in
>the transition between monochord unisons and bichord unisons?

Attack and sustain characteristics come mostly from the impedance balance
between the strings and the soundboard assembly. Too low a soundboard
impedance gets you a loud attack and short sustain, while too high an
impedance gets you less attack volume and long sustain. It's a matter of
how quickly the string's energy dumps to the board. Blending the monochords
into the bichords is usually more a matter of keeping unison tensions
similar across the transition and not making enormous changes in core
diameters. That's scaling.  Blending tone across the bass / tenor break is
an exercise in both soundboard/scale impedance balancing, and good scaling
practice.

> I understand and like the idea that voicing is disaster (damage)
>control. Only needed to compensate for variations in felt resiliency/
>density or uneven design/manufacturing (or even room) characteristics.

It's usually an attempt to compensate for poor scaling, poor
scale/soundboard impedance matching, or both. The softest, most resilient
hammers available rarely need more than a few minutes voicing after
installation if the scaling and soundboard are working together. The
hammers get blamed for everything, but the soundboard and scale determine
what the hammers have to be.

> However, me
>thinks there are more than four corners to the puzzle. The picture on
>the box is faded, some extra pieces included, and some important ones
>missing.

You bet your Bippy there's more. Scour the archives for string scaling and
soundboard impedance discussions (lots), and read all of Del Fandrich's
Journal articles, available with 20 years of PTJ on CD at a guild near you.
Then wade on in. We're making our own pieces here, and there is still a lot
for us to learn.

> (You mean, you can tell
>me the secret of the decoder ring and not have to kill me afterwards?!)
>
>Kevin Riggs,

We won't have to. You'll probably hear enough conflicting secrets to
confuse you into harmlessness.

Ron N