Depth stop, bridge pin hole drilling

Ron Overs sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 00:57:22 +1000

Hi all,

This post has been a while coming. Before Reno, when bridge pin hole
drilling was under discussion, several of you emailed me requesting
an image of the drill stop we use when drilling the bridges.

I finally got around to doing the scan tonight. The image shows the
bridge for our piano 003 being drilled. We drill and notch the
bridges before attaching them to the sound board, and before both are
fitted into the case.

http://www.overspianos.com.au/dlst.jpeg

These stops are easy to turn up. We make one for each size of drill
(to avoid run-out problems). Notice also that the contact face of the
stop is chamfered to 20 degrees, ie. to the same angle of the bridge
pin inclination. This minimises the likelyhood of damaging the bridge
cap as the stop contacts the bridge.

Ron O
--
Overs Pianos