Tension Difference between 435cps and 440cps

Clark caccola@net1plus.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:10:24 -0100

Why 425hz for pre-1870? <http://www.mozartpiano.com/pitch.html>

John Delacour wrote:

> Get them to send you a list of their authenticated breaking strains
> for each wire size

<http://www.puresound-wire.com/otherwire.htm>
<http://www.puresound-wire.com/datapresentstock.htm>

I find no mention of higher tensile strength stainless wire.

PScale and other programs may get absolute tensions within small
distances from actual, but for modern wire they miss on percent breaking
strain, probably cannot calculate for other wire.

> the shorter the piano, the greater the fall

Why? Some have more than 19 bass notes, and some have fewer than 88
notes. I've measured a couple tiny 1830s English pianos that have the
same tension on the lowest plain wire as the highest, pretty close
throughout the bass. (An upright similar to these that I saw recently
has the smallest wrap wire I've encountered.)

Clark