Tension Difference between 435cps and 440cps

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 17:15:28 -0400

> As I have done a lot of this sort
> of things over the past 28 years, I will be happy to counsel anyone who is
> interested.

Hi Joe, I am very interested in learning more.

> these instruments should NEVER be used for students

Why?

> If you are "restringing" one of these
> instruments, you should ALWAYS evaluate the scale using 435cps, (or other
> standard, such as 425cps for instruments that are pre-1870's), then reset
> the pitch standard to 440cps and "rescale" appropriately, keeping all
> tensions within the "original scale" plan.

Are you saying to rescale with A440 in mind, but keeping all tensions close
to that of the original design? That would mean using slightly thinner wire
for each respective note?

Terry Farrell