Noise Levels [was Re: Yamaha "S" Pianos vs. others]

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Mon, 17 Sep 2001 21:29:39 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 7:25 PM
Subject: Yamaha "S" Pianos vs. others

Mark & Dale,
IMHO we're dealing with an ever-increasing number of people that have a
hearing loss, due to our VERY NOISY society.

+ You're not kidding!  Music preferences aside ... but is anyone out there
bothered by the ambient noise levels in airports, let alone on board planes?
(Trains are so quiet on board.)  So, to hear anything that resembles music
above and beyond the noise, the volume control on the headphones on
"personal entertainment systems" is cranked to full-bore.

That being, recording studios have a
distorted idea of what a piano is really supposed to sound like. So, we are
subjected to improperly EQ'd recordings.

+ And concerts, I might add.  Recently while I was touching up the tuning at
a jazz festival, the soundman offered to turn UP the monitor next to the
piano.  Yikes and no thanks.  The piano was plenty loud, brassy-shrill, best
described as sounding like a cheap plastic toy without any amplification.  I
always have to wear musicians' earplugs when I'm tuning ... and at the
concert.

Methinks to many reformed Rock musicians have gotten
tired of playing and are now in the studios, with their poor hearing!

+ Or these guys were the touring soundmen for these rock musicians, sitting
in the house soundbooth and getting blasted front and center by those big
banks of speakers night after night.  Meanwhile, the audiences are
conditioned to believe that the music isn't music unless it is loud beyond
recognition.  So, the cycle begins again, with home stereos cranked to

Just
this guy's opinion. Flame suit properly adjusted. <grin>
Regards,
Joe Garrett, Oregon

+ Anyone know where I can get a ladies Size 12 Tall flamesuit?

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
(still with dog-hearing)
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net