Olde instrument Scaling, etc.

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 18:10:12 -0700

Terry & list,
To answer your questions directly.
#1 These instruments should Never be used by students.
I should qualify that by saying they should never be used by begining
students. Reason? These instruments will never SOUND  like nor PLAY like a
modern instrument. They are not designed that way. When a student goes to
the teacher's, he/she is doing the lesson on a modern piano, (hopefully).
Then the student goes home to practice on something other than a modern
piano. It doesn't sound like the teacher's piano and doesn't respond like
the teacher's piano. This, IMHO, causes confusion, on the part of the
student, and eventually leads to the student getting frustrated. End result,
a bad musical experience for the student AND the parents.
#2 The scaling of these pianos is different, in many ways. To begin with,
the scale balance is totally out of whack. This one factor, IMHO, is why
most techs and players hate them. The Bass bridge strings start out with a
length that is at least equal to that of a 7' Grand. By the time we get to
the upper, (tenor), section of the bass bridge, the length is equal to
approx. a 5' to 5'3" piano. Now, that in itself is enough to mess up any
balance. But, THEN, we get to the treble bridge. The first strings are about
the length of a 6' Grand and get, (quickly), shorter to the point of the
bridge, where it takes a hard right turn. At that point the strings are
shorter than just about any piano known to man. THEN, we get to around the
hard right turn and all the strings are TOO LONG for any kind of upper
treble scale! All these things have to be considered in proper(?) scale
evaluation and change. AND IF THAT AINT ENOUGH, we have to ALWAYS keep in
mind the problem of "Cheek Lift", which is ever present in these
instruments. A rule I have is: If the piano has "cheek Lift", I will not
rebuild it, as the structure has already begun to self-destruct and will
never be even slightly acceptable in end result.
I hope this answers your immediate questions.
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, Oregon