Steinway bridge laminations - the saga continues

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:36:56 -0500

>In previous episodes:
>
>Ron N reported late 20s B with all maple bridge laminations
>Phil F reported 1890s B & C with maple and dark wood (mahogany?) laminations
>Mark R reported 1911 O with maple and dark wood laminations.
>
>In our current episode:
>
>Phil F reports 1922 M with maple and dark wood laminations.
>
>We seem to be narrowing things down.  Did a change take place in the
>1920s?  Stay tuned for further episodes.
>
>Phil

Then there's the new Boston I tuned last week, with the alternating light
and dark vertical laminations and the 14mm thick bridge cap that looked for
all the world like it was flat sawn, as near as I could get to it to see
(or not to see as it may turn out). Maybe Terry will check his for us and
educate me.

I still think it's to make them easier and quicker to bend.

Ron N