Silencing a piano

Earl S. Dunlap, Jr. dunlapes@home.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 20:16:01 -0400

At 09:09 AM 9/17/01 -0700, you wrote:

>It is true that there is a certain amount of energy coupled to the floor,
>"very hard" caster cups will not help, however. At least not by themselves.
>Something that will acoustically de-couple the leg/caster from the floor is
>in order. Use caster cups to spread out the load a bit but then try placing
>them on resilient rubber pads.
>
>And then, yes, place the whole thing on a rug or carpet that is at least
>several feet larger than the piano all around, assuming the floor is not
>already carpeted. Or, even if it is. A natural fiber carpet--wool, hemp,
>etc.--will be more effective than something made of synthetics. Just as wool
>drapes are more effective than synthetics at altering room acoustics.
>
>Del

To Del and the List:

Having been laboratory manager for Lees Carpet Company (part of Burlington
Industries) one of the last companies to make only all-wool carpeting I can
readily agree with you in your suggestions.

Incidently, Bacon Felt Company, Inc. has long made a product called
"Guardian Mount" which is wool or hair felt vulcanized between neoprene
rubber (quite long lived rubber that is highly resistant to oils).  This
product is sold as and performs very well as a machinery mount.  Depending
upon the circumstances of the weight involved and the frequencies to be
attenuated, 1/2 or 1" thicknesses of Guardian Mount are used and the load is
also spread out over various areas of the material.

Calls to Bacon Felt will be directed to distributors of their products.

EARL