Spring Rail Rebuilding

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 19 Sep 2001 21:02:18 -0400

Hi Folks. Rebuilding an upright action. Hammer butt spring rail. Removed all
springs EXCEPT for three short pieces of spring wire that are apparently
stuck in original holes in rail (broke off). Gotta get 'em out so that I can
install the new ones. I have tried pushing them through to no avail. I guess
I can drill next to them, but that will screw up alignment a tad - maybe not
too much. There is nothing to grab on to to pull on. Any recommendations for
removal? Or should I just drill right next to original hole? I am constantly
amazed at little tricks to remove original stuff.

Also, I purchased medium and heavy hammer butt springs. What is the accepted
wisdom in placing these? If both are to be used, I suspect heavy in bass and
at some point in scale switch to medium. Should both be used? Where should
the change be made?

Thanks big time.

Terry Farrell