Quieting Grand Action Noise

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 07:51:33 -0400

I've had some where the maple shoes come loose from the key. Big time =
noisy!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: jolly roger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, September 20, 2001 12:07 AM
  Subject: Re: Quieting Grand Action Noise

  Hi Tom,
              A lot of that noise is probably coming from the keys.   =
The maple shoes ( balance rail holes) coming from a damp climate and =
going to to extreme dry climate tend to loosen and make a racket.   I =
size the holes with half white glue and water, and leave over night for =
the glue to harden.  Then size and fit the keys the next day.

  Samick products often come from the factory with over sized BR holes.

  Regards Roger

  At 01:56 PM 9/19/01 -0400, you wrote:=20

    List:=20

    The noise of the action parts settling after releasing the keys on a =
client's 1978 Baldwin R is more noticeable the last few years after it =
was moved to the desert in Grand Junction from Florida.  I noticed the =
same thing on my 1970 Yamaha G3 after moving here from San Francisco.  =
The back rail felt on the Baldwin looks pretty compressed compared to =
the ends that are not receiving the blows from the key ends.  On the =
Yamaha, the back rail felt still seems pretty cushy and I think a lot of =
the noise is from the knuckles bouncing/hitting on the rep lever.  =
Hammer flange friction on both pianos is 4-7 swings, so those aren't =
rattling I don't think.=20

    Any thoughts and experience others have on trying to quiet actions =
would be appreciated.  Once knuckles get hard, can they be softened?  =
How? Does replacing back rail felts help much?  =20

    Come to think of it, I also have a client with a brand new 6'1" =
Kohler/Campbell(Samick) that makes a big racket when releasing the keys, =
and a Baldwin M at the college and .....  :)=20

    Thanks!=20

    Tom Merrill, Associate=20
    Grand Junction, CO=20