1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:53:47 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Delacour" <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>; <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 18, 2001 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: 1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

> At 12:54 18/09/01 -0500, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>

> >No, I'd expect the tensions to be climbing as you go up scale, from, say,
> >328lbs at #12 in an example I have at hand, to 175lbs each at #13. The
> >monochord is at 54% with 0.048"core, and the bichords are at 34% with
0.44"
> >cores. This hardly strikes me as unreasonable or unacceptable considering
> >the original figures were 343lbs @61% for #12, and 233lbs @41% for #13.
My
> >choice in core diameters in this instance isn't all that huge a jump
> >either, being 0.004" rather than the acceptable 0.003".
>
> Well, we clearly have very different experience.  You say you'd expect the
> tensions to be climbing as you go up scale -- so would I through the
> singles of a 6 ft. grand but only because of the length of the piano.  In
> concert grand I would expect the tension on the singles either to be
> roughly constant or even to fall somewhat towards the transition to
> bichords.  The only reason the tension tails off to the bottom on uprights
> and smaller grands is because we have not the length.

My experience in measuring original scales is similar to yours. As is, I'm
sure, Ron's. That doesn't make this scaling practice desirable, however.

What both he and I would expect in a well-designed, modern scale is an
increasing unison tension (whether that unison be a mono-chord or a
bi-chord) from A-1 up through the end of the bass section. That such scaling
doesn't generally exist in the 'modern' piano is another issue.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
Hoquiam, Washington  USA