Recession-proof?

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 12:08:17 -0400

You might be laid off more gradually as each "employer" discontinues =
hiring your services for the time being.  It might depend on who all =
those "employers" are.  If your customer base is all livingrooms, and in =
an area where there are large corporations
indulging in massive job-cuts, you might eventually find yourself with =
too little to do when all is said and done.  If your customer base also =
includes churches and theatres, you might be a little luckier, depending =
on how their budgets respond to ticket sales or donations.

We're lucky.  Since our income doesn't respond as rapidly as having a =
single employer deliver a job-cut, we have time to adjust our lifestyles =
and shore up our resources as our income declines.

I hate to admit, we might not be lucky for awhile yet.  All I hope for =
now is that things don't get as bad all around as they did in Boston in =
'88-91 ....  Christmas of 1990 was a year when the stores were laying =
off people at Thanksgiving rather than hiring on seasonal help.  The =
"help wanted" pages in the Sunday Boston Globe went from a packet as =
thick as the daily paper to a single sheet of newsprint.  With jobs for =
the general public being that scarce, I knew that we piano technicians =
didn't have a chance, especially those who were new to the market.

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----- Original Message -----=20