Old plastic action parts

Stacy Adams adams_piano@hotmail.com
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:27:02 -0600

List,

I inspected an older (50s or 60s) Heinzman console today, the piano was to
be evaluated for consigment at the store I work at.  The piano was in
absolutely great shape, good board, bridges nearly perfect, nice finish
even...but the action had plastic flanges and jacks.  The jacks were so
brittle that I would just have to press lightly on the side of one and it
would snap off at the centre pin.  I wonder if it would be possible to find
a similar wooden jack, and also replace the flanges?  Has anyone ever
attempted anything like this?  I would expect that even if this were
possible it probably wouldn't be cost effective given the amount of labor
involved.

Any comments?

Stacy Adams
Victoria, BC