Standard Pitch 1870 to Present

Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:56:33 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Powell" <pianotec@ihug.co.nz>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 20, 2001 3:54 PM
Subject: Re: Standard Pitch 1870 to Present

> >I use a template I put together in Excel. Tremaine Parsons sent me a copy
> of
> >his program to evaluate and I've looked it over. It's fairly intuitive
and
> >will give you all the basics. Ignore the % of breaking strength which
I've
> >found doesn't agree with published wire specifications.
> >
> >Del
>
> Del,
>
> By how much is PScale off in % of breaking strength?  Did you tell
Tremaine
> about this?

I believe this formula in Tremaine's program is based on the one given in
Robert's "The Calculating Technician." I think it was also used by Al
Sanderson in his scaling class handout's. It's off by quite a bit, at least
compared to the actual breaking strength numbers furnished by Mapes for
their wire. You would have to compare it with the published numbers of the
wire of your choice, but I think you'll find it is off with most commonly
used wires. The exact amount will depend on the characteristics of the
actual wire you use.

Del