High-tension or Low-tension?

Thu, 20 Sep 2001 22:10:28 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Airy" <stephen_airy@yahoo.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 20, 2001 4:27 PM
Subject: Re: High-tension or Low-tension?

> Do you know of a way to measure the individual (and
> the overall) string tension in my 56" 1913 Ricca (sn
> 37123) with the strings in the piano and pulled up to
> pitch?  And, what tools do I need to do it with?

The easiest and least expensive way is with a metric tape measure and a
micrometer. Neither the tape measure nor the micrometer need be all that
costly.

> I'm just curious as to what the scaling in my piano is
> like and if it would benefit from rescaling.

In something over thirty years of analyzing and redesigning existing piano
scales I've not yet encountered one that couldn't be improved. I suppose
your's could be the first, but with that track record what do you think the
chances are?

> Also, what do you guys do when you rescale a piano?

Someone else may want to take a stab at this online but I don't. Just an
introductory overview is the subject of a 1-1/2 hour class. And I suggest
you find one and attend.

Del