Quieting Grand Action Noise

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 21 Sep 2001 20:06:23 -0400

The "only solution"? I replaced the wippen action cloth to quiet down a =
Baldwin R a while back. Worked great, and arguably longer lasting.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, September 21, 2001 10:00 AM
  Subject: Re: Quieting Grand Action Noise

  In a message dated 9/19/01 1:10:03 PM Central Daylight Time, =
MERRILLPIANO@AOL.COM writes:=20

    The noise of the action parts settling after releasing the keys on a =
client's 1978 Baldwin R is more noticeable the last few years after it =
was moved to the desert in Grand Junction from Florida.  I noticed the =
same thing on my 1970 Yamaha G3 after moving here from San Francisco.  =
The back rail felt on the Baldwin looks pretty compressed compared to =
the ends that are not receiving the blows from the key ends.  On the =
Yamaha, the back rail felt still seems pretty cushy and I think a lot of =
the noise is from the knuckles bouncing/hitting on the rep lever.  =
Hammer flange friction on both pianos is 4-7 swings, so those aren't =
rattling I don't think.=20

    Any thoughts and experience others have on trying to quiet actions =
would be appreciated.  Once knuckles get hard, can they be softened?  =
How? Does replacing back rail felts help much?   =20

    Come to think of it, I also have a client with a brand new 6'1" =
Kohler/Campbell(Samick) that makes a big racket when releasing the keys, =
and a Baldwin M at the college and .....  :)=20

    Thanks!=20

    Tom Merrill, Associate=20
    Grand Junction, CO=20

  Tom=20

  The problem is the wippen cushion felt. The only solution is to remove =
each wipppen, brush the felt with a brass brush, and then "voice" the =
cushion. Take your voicing needle and fluff up the felt from the sides =
and from the top. You will have to regulate the action afterwards, but =
it will take care of the noise.=20

  Willem=20