Old plastic action parts

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 17:17:24 -0300

John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca

> Hi John. I have a set of constant-diameter reamers, but I do not know if
> they are the Don Manino reamers. Where did you get yours and what is the
> part number. OR - do they come in a set of about six sizes and look like a
> long straight wire that is mostly smooth, but with a short burred section
> near the wooden handle? I think I got mine from Schaff. Can you describe
the
> motion you use with these reamers to get a consistent pin fit. I find that
> need to use at least one size larger reamer, and the fit depends much on
my
> reaming motion
>
> Is one of these the Manino reamers?
>
> Terry Farrell

Hi Terry,
The ones above, sound like them.
As to how I use them, well it takes a couple of tries, till I get down to a
specific
motion, and it changes, from action to action. I suppose it is the density
of the felts,
or how loose they were initially.
As Roger stated, take all the parts out, and just get into an assembly type,
action
once you have figured out how many passes to make, for the particular part.
It is surprising, how fast and consistent, you can be once you have
everything
laid out. And yes sometimes it appears you are using the wrong size for a
particular pin size, but as long as you stick to the same number of passes,
it
will be consistent.
I used the broach set from Pianotek before that.
Regards,
John M. Ross