Quieting Grand Action Noise

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 22 Sep 2001 23:14:56 -0500

At 09:57 PM 9/22/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello.
>Another method is similar to Roger Jolly's steam voicing technique.
>Remove the stack, and turn it upside down exposing the wippen cushions.
>Then use the hammer iron, with a slightly damp cloth, to steam out the
>dents worn in the cushion.  It is quick and easy, and it works well.
>
>Roy Peters
>Cincinnati, Ohio

Hi Roy Etal,
                   A few uses for steam to quiet an action.

1.  Revitalize BR bushings and balance rail holes:   I have a whistling
kettle with the whistle removed it gives a nice forceful 1/8" jet of steam.
  Insert accu cauls into bushings. ( .047 for most American pianos)  Steam
BR holes, enough steam gets up and and swells bushing cloth.  Leave over
night to dry.  Next day the bushings are much tighter and the BR holes will
be tight.   Size holes ot fit keys.    The whole job only takes a couple of
hrs for a big gain.   Polish and Protec the pins,  reduces potential for
sqeeks and groans.

2. Revitilalize FR Bushings,  quick pass of steam jet and install .050"
AcuCaul.  The will remove most of the side to side key slop.
Turn the worst FR pins for correct fit.

3. The wippen cloth as above,  do this before adjusting the hammer line,
you will often find the hammer line ends up where it should be.  Can save a
lot of capstan turning.

Cleaning up a noisy key bed like this will make a big difference, and will
help in selling a key bushing job further down the road.
It's an expedient inexpensive treatment,  that works well for a medium term
fix.

Hope this helps

Roger