Grand Bending & Square Grand Cheek Lift

Clark Panaccione threesixesinarow@yahoo.com
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 09:19:16 -0700 (PDT)

Farrell wrote:

> Can anyone quantify the potential problems? I can
see that regarding
> the belly, it will lessen  downbearing, and
regarding the action, it
> will cause the action frame to not sit flat on
keybed, or if it does
> curve with the keybed, the hammer height will get
affected, etc.

The construction of squares is that the action sits
where effective framing might be. This is counteracted
a little for late squares which have substantial
wooden nameboard stretchers and nearby bass struts,
but their effect is lessened by over stringing and
relatively high tension. Bottom boards often are
oriented to the main direction of the strain but which
are coupled mostly through the case sides, with grain
oriented parallel to the bottom which can distort some
even before transmitting some of the burden to it;
further, if a bottom is solid, it cannot resist any
non-longitudinal, twisting strains so well.

Another weak point in old squares is at the
intersection of the spine and treble end of the wrest
plank, a sort of sinusoidal distortion can be observed
by sighting along the spine. Even while there may be
no such evidence, you may see a flange or thicker
section of plates in late squares around this same
area.

> The question being, does the amount of cheek lift in
an old square
> grand change much with strings in or out?

Yes, but probably you're familiar with compression set
through Del Fandrich's posts regarding soundboards.
This is another sort of creep, like to old shelves and
beams sagging under continuous load which will spring
back when the load is removed but not fully.

> Do we ever see piano case bending (front to back) in
> modern/traditionally designed grand ... ever bend up
(front to back)
> under string pressure?

It is very common in old wooden framed grands. I just
checked my oldest grand, ca. 1860 which doesn't
exhibit this - however, its top strut is 70mm high and
which is mortised into the cheek.

Clark