FULL rebuilding evolution/uprights

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 23 Sep 2001 16:15:48 -0500

>Is that re-using the old strings? Seems like it would be a tad difficult to
>separate tone improvement from new strings alone, and any additional
>improvement from a new block. I'm wondering how that determination was
>arrived at.

Hi Ron,
            I have repaired more than a few old verticals with loose spacer
blocks, and post.  There has been a noticable improvement in tone quality.
No other work done to strings, and action to act as a variable.   If the
block is pulling away from the back support, bearing will be effected,
hence some tone alteration.  Also have noticed tone improvements when
regluing pinblocks to back assemblies, again using original strings and
hammers.
  I have seen negative bearing with block separation, and ample crown on
laminated boards.  Once every thing is solidly back together, the piano is
stable and  sounding as it should.  Admittedly the pianos have typically
been the 40" PSO type of consoles.
 I'm sure you have done this type of repair more than once.

Regards Roger