Basic Action Design/Performance Question

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 08:57:09 -0400

Is there inherently any difference between improved versions of grand
actions? I know that a new Bechstein or Walter action may well play better
than your average new Samick or Bergman - but isn't a lot of that inferior
materials, glues, manufacturing, etc.? Take two divergent actions from
similar sized pianos - a Walter and a Bergman. Now give both actions to the
Willis & David Snyder shop & David Stanwood. Let them replace any parts they
want and optimize all they will. Now I realize the Bergman action will still
seem bad when it is placed into the Bergman cavity - but let's just assume
that Del Fandrich (or whoever) works all kinds of magic and somehow
reproduced a Walter-like grand belly within the Bergman frame (ok, ok, just
stretching it a bit, but this is an action question - use your imagination).
Now you are putting these two actions into similar pianos. Can they both
play to a similar potential?

I hope this doesn't sound like too goofy a question. I guess I'm asking
whether a Young Chang (or whatever generally viewed lower quality action)
can be made to play as well as any good quality action (neglecting the
difference in pianos - which I fully realize can dramatically affect the way
an action performs)?

Does this make any sense? Perhaps I am asking "besides material quality,
design, manufacturing, etc. (and the piano it is installed in), is there
anything else (magical?) about an action that makes one superior to another
one?

I have heard before - "Well, Mrs. Pianobuyer, that piano is not a
Steenburger, and it will never play like a Steenburger." Is that because the
seller does not know how to do it? Does not think it is worth the money to
do it? Or that it can't be done?

Inquiring minds want to know. Thanks for any thoughts.

Terry Farrell