Cheek Lift

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:14:06 -0700

Terry,
Yes a traditional grand does get Cheek Lift. However, because the grand
piano sits on 3 legs, you cannot check it as I earlier described. You can
see it, if you have the affliction I have. And that is, when I go into a
room, I immediately get a brain(?) signal if the room is not square or if
the sheet rock is not flat. Bothers the hell out of me! Also, if pictures
are not hung straight. I'm sure there is a way to measure a grand to see if
cheek lift exists. (Help me out here Del!) I have seen a few grands with
that problem.
The main thing that is important here, is that the structure is in the
process of failing, (big time!). I believe that once that process has
started, it is futile to attempt repair of that instrument! It will
continue, even if you attempt to put a lower tension scale on the piano! In
this situation, scaling will not help! It can be temporarily repaired, but
the key word is "TEMPORARILY". My advise is: If the piano has "Cheek Lift",
forget it!
Regards,
Joe Garrett