Are online "ebay" type pianos a good idea?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 18:30:00 EDT

In a message dated 9/24/01 4:32:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
MoodyPiano@AOL.COM writes:

> As time goes on I am getting more and more calls for piano moving for pianos
> that people are bidding on via ebay and similar auction style sites.
>
> n two instances that I can remember, we have had negative experiences.
> In one instance, a customer purchased a baby grand piano for $800.00 in NJ.
>  The piano was supposedly in "showroom condition, only needing tuning."  We
> were hired to move it from NJ to MA.  After delivery we referred the
> customer to a technician for service who deemed the piano's repairs to be
> more than the value of the piano.
>
> In instance #2, a customer had called us to purchase their piano.  Upon
> evaluation we found the piano to be unserviceable and explained this to the
> customer.  2 weeks later, I received a call from a customer in Washington
> state that was looking to purchase a piano on ebay from MA and was looking
> for advice and moving costs.  Coincidentally it was the same piano.
> Thankfully she ended up not purchasing the piano but I still wonder if
> someone ever did.
>
> Does anyone have any feedback positive/negative on these types of
> transactions?  My initial feeling for the everyday consumer is that there
> are too many risks involved with purchasing a piano like this and the
> opportunity isn't there too get it evaluated by a technician.  So my
> overall recommendation to customers is "stay away from piano purchasing on
> ebay, etc."  Does anyone have any other thoughts or recommendations that
> they give to their customers?
>
> Thanks,  Lanie
> Moody Piano & Organ

Lanie

You basically answered your own question. I had a customer who was about to
purchase a 5'8Z" Baldwin grand in PA for $8000. I asked her is she had seen,
played or heard the piano. When she hadn't, I advised her to call a
technician in the town where the piano was located. I don't know if she ever
did, but I don't think she bought that piano.

Buying pianos over the Internet is very dangerous. As you said, you don't
know what you're getting into.

Willem