Are online "ebay" type pianos a good idea?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 21:29:38 -0400

All else being equal - No way would I recommend to someone that they buy =
a piano on ebay. Now getting on to reality, people will do just that. =
So.........

I should think the condition & value of a remote piano could be =
ascertained by asking your local technician for a referral of a reliable =
technician in the area of the piano. The remote tech could then inspect =
the piano  and report as to its condition and value. One must be able to =
ensure that the remote tech is reputable though.

The above evaluation should satisfy many potential piano movers.

For the better pianist - they MUST play the piano themselves - so if =
they do the ebay thing, I would recommend that it include a trip to =
visit the piano. Otherwise about the only thing they can be reasonably =
sure of is that all the various parameters that determine whether =
someone likes a particular piano is within the "normal/acceptable" range =
(if indeed that is what the remote tech reports) - but it may not be to =
their particular liking.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20