touch weight

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:50:06 +0200

Hi Terry. I heard this mentioned in relation to grands. But I doubt seriously
this would have much effect on an upright. You could add all kinds of mass to
the hammer shanks in verticals without doing a whole lot to the DW / UW.

On a Vertical you have to attack the problem differently.. or perhaps you have
less options available to you to put it that way. Lots of techs would just add
weight to the back of the keys. I dont particularilly like that if I can avoid
it. You can do several things tho that will help. To some degree you can
re-regulate dampers so that they come into play as early as is acceptable, and
as strong as is acceptable. You can increase tension on the hammer return
springs as well, tho I am not sure how long that will last. If you do want to
add lead, there are at least two spots that come to mind right off... out as
far as you can position on the whippen small diameter leads  (ala Stanwoods
approach to adding mass to hammer heads), and out on the hammer butt.

Hope this helps a bit to get you thinking.

Cheers
RicB