Hearing Loss

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:04:05 -0500

Diane
I've made a copy of your letter to show to my wife. I've been trying to =
get this across to her for some time but she thinks I'm not listening or =
paying attention (that may be true some of the time). Oddly enough her =
work includes some geriatric care. She has mentioned how some of the =
elderly cannot hear her voice very well because of its pitch and =
softness.

Thanks for your contributions.

Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Diane Hofstetter=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2001 3:16 PM
  Subject: Hearing Loss

  Anthony said:

  >I was fairly unhappy and worried about what he said; and didn't want =
>news of my condition to get around my community of technicians; >who =
was going to hire a deaf piano technician? >=20

  You brought up a very important issue here, one that needs to be =
brought to everyone's attention.  Virtually everyone who lives a nice =
long life will lose hearing. In 1995, one in three people over the age =
of 65 had hearing loss that causes them communication problems (that's =
down in the 2,000hz to 3,000hz range).  And with the baby boomer =
generation, the age at which hearing loss is becoming acute is getting =
drastically lower, it's not uncommon now for audiologists to see people =
in their 40's coming in with hearing loss.  =20