Are online "ebay" type pianos a good idea?

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Mon, 24 Sep 2001 23:20:53 -0400

Hi Lanie!

The following is an edited excerpt of something I sent to a friend of =
mine privately.

I do have my suspicions about pianos appearing on internet auction =
sites.  Go ahead and call me a pessimist if you must.

My immediate thought was that this was something the seller has found no =
room for in the resale market.  By auctioning it, the seller is hoping =
to get whatever might be possible for it, and it may not be much.

Internet auctions give the sellers yet one more blind to hide behind.  =
They are free to talk about the quality components and perhaps show =
beautiful pictures, but the potential buyers are at the mercy of the =
information made available by the seller without the benefit of having =
an up-close look for themselves.  One of my customers here in Michigan =
once located a "choice" piano in California through the internet, then =
called me for an opinion.  I urged him to find a Registered Piano =
Technician there to take a good look.  It turned out the seller insisted =
they would arrange for that, and promised that the findings would be =
"impartial."  (I didn't know about this arrangement until the report =
came in.)  A few days later the customer sent me a long fax of the =
tech's report.  The more I studied the report, the more suspicious it =
looked.  Double whammy -- there was enough subtle little stuff in there =
that when added together, the technician was just as interested in =
selling it away as the seller was in making any money from it ... and my =
customer had to pay for his services.  My advice was to scrap the whole =
deal and concentrate on finding something locally.  (A friend of mine =
came through with something he had rebuilt.)

Perhaps I was a little quick with the Delete button, but didn't the =
Brambach in a very recent thread end up as an internet auction item when =
the owner realized that very little could be done for it on a =
sub-minimal budget?  How many other pianos on these auction sites =
represent last-ditch efforts to get money for something that is =
otherwise clinically dead or "budgetarily challenged" to make =
serviceable again?

Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
(origianlly from Eastern Massachusetts)