Basic Action Design/Performance Question

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:44:31 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: September 25, 2001 5:01 AM
Subject: Re: Basic Action Design/Performance Question

> > Just how big was that Bergman?
>
> Not sure what you are getting at here. Similar to the Walter. 6' 3" or so.
> But based on your other comments, I believe you answer will be that the
> actions in the Walter and Bergman, having been optimized, will perform to
> similar standard.

Not necessarily. Each will have its own character. The Walter has a 27 note
bass which, while not quite optimum for a piano of this size, is pretty
close and a lot better than the 20 note bass common to most. Including,
probably, the Bergman. The tenor/treble scale (and bridge) of the Walter is
already a true log progression and the plate is laid out so that the hammer
strike points are optimized. Doubtful on the Bergman. The rim shape of the
Walter is nearly ideal for its size. How about the Bergman? There's a lot we
can do with the Bergman, but it's not magic.

Regards,

Del