Steinway Uprights

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:55:50 -0700

The problem has not been tuning stability.  I find with these pianos you =
must be very careful to keep the hammer movement "on plane" so to speak. =
 No bending or you get in real trouble.  The problem is clarity and =
false beats.  I will try Patton's recommendation.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ROBOTUNER@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 25, 2001 7:04 AM
  Subject: Re: Steinway Uprights

       String seating and stretching are essential,especially in new =
1098s and Ks.John Patton reccomends stretching the strings with a =
slotted brass tool pushed in and up along the speaking length of the =
treble strings.I use a half inch dowel with a bichord agraffe on one =
end,with a cut from a hack saw to form a groove.It works well,be =
prepared to do a pitch raise tuning afterwards.The results will be less =
noise,no rings,and a stable tuning.I should add that hammer shapeing and =
travel also need to be addressed when trying to "clean up"the treble =
area.Also tuning hammer technicque comes into play here.I like to have =
my hammer between 10:00 and 11:00 position.In that way I am turning the =
pin more and bending it less.It takes practice and alot of patience,but =
once you get the piano in tune and seated it will stay in tune longer =
than most other brands.         Robin Olso! n RPT  Wash DC Chapter=20