1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

Tue, 25 Sep 2001 08:29:48 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 24, 2001 12:50 PM
  Subject: Re: 1 string, 2 strings, 3 strings or more

   =20
    You're entitled to your opinion. Just don't complain when someone =
buys a Petrof because they actually like the way it sounds and when they =
are willing to accept the mechanical limitations of the instrument to =
get that sound. The mechanical limitations, after all, can mostly be =
overcome by a reasonably accomplished technician. The folks buying these =
pianos based on their performance are also entitled to their opinions. =
And if they manage to save a few thousand in the process...so what? Good =
for them.
  We are all entitled to our opinions, and no doubt have them. That =
being said,  I have never complained to a customer about their choice of =
pianos. And my "opinion" of Petrofs (or any other piano) doesnt come =
into this particular equation at all. A poorly manufactured piano is =
exactly that... and nothing can change that. Pinblocks that come apart =
or are installed such that you can drop a 5 mm thick peice of wood =
between the block and the plate are not issues of opinion. Nor are =
poorly spun bass strings, nor bridge pins that are sloppy and angled all =
over the place, nor agraffes that are turned in all manner of depth and =
angles.  I also must take issue with the presumption that a field tech =
should be expected to deal with these kinds of "limitations" on brand =
new instruments that claim to be of quality manufacture. Further, =
dealing with these limitations costs money, and there goes any  =
"savings" out the window... plus some.=20
Sounds like you're describing the S&S pianos I prepped back in the 1970s =
and 1980s. Or current Kawai and Yamaha pinblock to plate flange fitting. =
While I have limited personal experience with Petrof pianos, quite a few =
of my acquaintances have quite a lot and they relate little of what you =
describe in the pianos they service. Who am I to believe? (In fairness =
to S&S, their build quality has improved quite a bit since then though =
most of the design issues remain.)=20

    I still maintain that a well designed inexpensive piano can/will =
outperform a poorly designed expensive one. It's just that there is a =
dearth of well designed pianos available in any price range. (At least =
by 2001 design standards. There are quite a few well designed pianos by =
1901 standards.)
  I dont recall anyone mentioning a problem with piano  >>design<<  =
issues.  But ok.. have it your way. I still maintain that a poorly built =
piano, regardless of how well designed it is, will remain a poorly built =
piano and as such will not outperform much of anything.
Yes, it will remain a poorly built piano but it might well outperform =
those S&S pianos you're so fond of. At least initially. But this does =
bring up another point of performance, and one that is deliberately =
hidden (usually) from the original buyer. And that is one of longevity.=20

One reason I've consistently recommended that folks buy pianos like the =
S&S, even though I'm fully aware of their faults, is that in fifty or a =
hundred years our ancestors will be able to rebuild/remanufacture them =
and they will keep on going, serving the musical needs of yet future =
generations.=20

I consider this to be a part of the overall performance package. And it =
is one reason why I do not endorse some pianos that many on this list =
regard as great and wonderful instruments. They are going to be =
virtually impossible to rebuild/remanufacture when the time comes. Or =
their value will be so low as to make that option financially =
unattractive.=20

I have a growing contempt for disposable pianos, modern or old, cheap =
vertical or concert grand. The earth does not, and cannot have given =
today's population, the resources to continue satisfying society's =
desire for cheap, disposable products whether they be pianos or widgets.

Del
Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Designer & Builder
Hoquiam, Washington  USA