Damper Lever Rebuild (tad long)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 25 Sep 2001 19:12:19 -0400

I have several questions regarding rebuilding upright damper levers. I need
to replace all damper lever springs and felt. Anyone willing to help?

1) Damper spring flange cord. What is the best way to remove it? I tried
pushing it through - just jammed up in the spring area and......(flange is
now in vice with tite-bond). Is there a handy way to pull it through? Or
should it be cut with a razor at the spring and then pushed? I did take the
steel center pin out first (I assume that is the way to start at least).

2) The cord in the one flange I have removed appears to not have been glued
in place - is this OK to reproduce when installing the new cord?

3) Should the new cord simply be pulled through and cut to length? If it is
not glued in, is it not going to crunch up inside when I try to install
center pin? Is there some procedural trick to getting new cord and pin in?
Or should I glue it in regardless of whether it was originally glued in or
not?

4) There is a creased little round piece of felt/cloth at the lever top
where the top of the spring rubs against the lever. Some levers do not have
cloth, instead they have a direct wire-to-graphited wood contact. Do I need
the felt/cloth? Can I just remove it and put some dag on the groove in
lever? If it is best to replace felt/cloth, what should it be replaced with?
I do not find any such identified thing in the catalogs.

5) What kind of felt/cloth is used at the bottom of the lever where the
damper lift rod and damper spoons push against the damper lever?

6) What kind of bushing felt/cloth should be used in the damper lift rod
bushing holder thingees? Is there any source for older style bushing holder
thingees? I know they have the newer ones in the catalogs, but I will have
to chisel/rout a new spot for these if I need to convert. My original ones
have a round base and appear to be made of copper or brass.

I know cloth is woven. How does felt differ? How to tell the difference when
examining old cloth/felt?

An aside - but related topic:
I am engaged in doing a partial rebuild of an upright action. The lady is
pretty sure that she will go ahead with rebuilding the entire piano in the
next few years - but not now (turn-of-century Fisher upright - her
grandmother's piano - and she learned to play on it). The action was too bad
to play, so I told her we could start with the action. Planned on replacing
hammers, shanks, butts, and damper felt. I guessed good and have found the
wippens to be in amazingly good shape - if we want to replace them later, we
can - but they will function well for now. The dampers however has a few
broken springs, moth-eaten felt, little round felt detaching, etc. I will
rebuild these things and not charge her, because I should have been able to
identify the troubles and include the damper rebuilding as work required. I
suppose I could just put the other parts on and not rebuild the dampers -
but then, well, you know how much luck I will have when I try to regulate
the whole shebang and how it will work (or not). I guess what I am getting
at is that is never ceases to amaze me how interrelated piano parts are. It
is extremely difficult to take an old action and make it work right without
replacing most all parts. You certainly cannot expect to ignore one whole
system just to save money. This is what I did in this case - ignored the
damper levers. When I actually got all the old butts & wippens off and only
the dampers remained, I started looking at them and wondering why several
seemed weaker than the others - broken springs. Then I noticed the little
groove felts that were loose. I took a few off and realized the lift felt
was bug/moth eaten. I have no idea how so many of these "tooner-techs" can
put cheap new hammers, bass strings, and damper felts on an old worn-out
piano and call it "rebuilt" - and sleep at night.