Quieting Grand Action Noise

Laura Olsen laura257@chicagonet.net
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:42:18 -0500

Dear Roy,

I used your trick of steaming the wippen cushions on an old Knabe grand
today.  I have had fits trying to get it regulated after I shaped the
hammers and this solved the problem nicely.  I was able to bring the hammer
line back and get let-off an appropriate distance from the strings and get
it to check.  It made for a good day.  Thank you.

Laura Olsen
Barrington, IL

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Roy Peters
Sent: Saturday, September 22, 2001 8:58 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Quieting Grand Action Noise

Hello.
Another method is similar to Roger Jolly's steam voicing technique.
Remove the stack, and turn it upside down exposing the wippen cushions.
Then use the hammer iron, with a slightly damp cloth, to steam out the
dents worn in the cushion.  It is quick and easy, and it works well.

Roy Peters
Cincinnati, Ohio