Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

Wed, 26 Sep 2001 16:04:17 -0700

While in Reno I had a conversation with two established representatives =
of well known hammer manufacturer's regarding the function of the =
staple.  both agreed that it was of little use for keeping the felt =
attached to the core once the glue dried.  Beyond that, however,  I was =
given two bits if information in total opposition.  One argued that the =
staple was necessary for maintaining tension in the hammer and that =
pulling the stable would destroy the tone,  the other argued that the =
staple serves no purpose, really, and, in fact, pulling the staple would =
release some tension in the lower part of the hammer accomplishing to =
some degree what prevoicing in the low shoulder is designed to do.  He =
went on to say that many concert voicers automatically pulled the staple =
when setting up a new set of hammers for precisely that reason.   Can =
anyone comment on this apparent disagreement. =20

David Love