String Question

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:46:50 -0600

Hi Iñaki,

There are beats happening in Octaves. It depends on where you listen. An
octave can be beatless at the 2:1 ; 4:2 ; 6:3 partials (etc.) But if it is
beat free at 4:2 for example then there will be a beat at 2:1 and at 6:3
(and at all other partials as well).

c3 c4 2:1 = beat free at c4
c3 c4 4:2 = beat free at c5
c3 c4 6:3 = beat free at g5

You can easily prove this by "ghosting" the octave. Hold down c3 and c4
silently, then play c5 a sharp loud staccato blow. Listen for the beat. If
there is no beat then the octave is a perfect 4:2

At 11:40 AM 09/24/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Well, thiis question is not so important, but I was just wondering myself...
>
>When two strings of different size are in the same unison, it cause false
beats. When you play an octave, you play with two groups of strings with
different thickness sounding at the same time, and they sound clean and
beatless (if the piano is tuned, of course). Why the different size of
string affect in a unison but not in an octave giving false beats?

>Just wondering...
>
>Iñaki Coello Gómez
>Valladolid. Spain

>Pianos en la Red?  ->  http://www.pianored.com