Damper Lever Rebuild (tad long)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 21:54:05 -0400

Thanks for the tip Roger. My first time at this upright stuff. I did not =
think of that. I currently have all the butts and wippens off, so I will =
go ahead and remove the back rail and complete my dampers before I =
install the other stuff. What a pain having the piano 25 miles away. =
Your approach sounds good. Do the dampers first while the action is =
clean and uncluttered with all the other parts.

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: jolly roger=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org ; pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 11:44 AM
  Subject: Re: Damper Lever Rebuild (tad long)

    I can understand the experience thing. Good luck. I hope you learn a =
lot from this. As far as the off center hole is concerned, I don't quite =
understand. The damper flanges I have seen have the hole in the middle. =
But even if they are off centered, you can use them, but then adjust the =
damper wire to move the damper head over to the string.  =20

    Wim=20

  Hi Wim and Terry,
                             Replacing those off set flanges require a =
lot of wire bending to get all the tri and bi cord wedges to seat =
correctly.  To do the job well you really should remove the hammer =
assemblies to get good access to the wire.
  FWIW On major damper jobs, I usually remove the hammer assemblies and =
back rail.  That way I can see the bottom of the damper, and have lots =
of room for the wire bending pliers, it does a better job.   It should =
be noted that the dampers are installed before the hammers, shanks, and =
back rail, in the piano factories.=20
  It is faster to remove the butts, shanks and hammers.
  Regards Roger