Stupefying Pitch Volatility

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:03:29 -0400

What does your post have to do with charging extra for a pitch change? =
If I change the pitch (more than 5 or 10 cents) I charge for it. If I =
don't change the pitch, I don't charge extra for it. I tuned a pukey =
Aeolian Mason & Hamlin console today. Last tune was at A440, today =
before tuning it was at about A442.5. I tuned it at A442.5. I indicated =
that tuning pitch on the receipt. The client was not there when I tuned =
the piano, but if she were, I would have let her know that I recommended =
leaving the pitch a bit sharp, knowing that the piano will only come =
down in pitch eventually.

I think whether one says anything about floating the pitch depends on =
who you are tuning for. If you are tuning dear old Mrs. Applesmith's =
Acrosonic spinet that she only plays by herself - mum's the word. If, =
like in my case today, you are tuning the piano in a church choir =
rehearsal room, I believe it is our responsibility to inform the client =
of our recommendation. In my case where the client was not available, I =
took my best guess and went with it!

Terry Farrell =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Billbrpt@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 1:55 PM
  Subject: Stupefying Pitch Volatility

  List,=20

  For those who may think that a few cents change in pitch should be =
charged extra for because it may take 2 passes to get a stable tuning, =
today, I tuned an 1897 open face pinblock Hinze upright which had last =
been tuned in February, 2001 at 440.  Today, A4 spun the lights up to =
+55 cents.=20

  I did this job for the local dealer I regularly to contract work for.  =
I remember the piano from past years, finding it ridiculously flat, all =
flanges rattling and hammers needing alignment during a winter tuning =
appointment.=20

  This dealer keeps a ongoing computer record which I read and noted =
that another tech had also tightened all flanges in winter, 1999.  A =
year ago, September 2000, the pitch had been lowered 53 cents to 440.=20

  Today, I "floated" the pitch, as they say, at +50 cents.  The customer =
remarked when I finished at how nice it sounded.  I collected the fee =
but said nothing else at all about anything.=20

  Why bother?=20

  Bill Bremmer RPT=20
  Madison, Wisconsin=20