Damper Lever Rebuild (tad long)

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 23:22:52 -0500

>Roger said:
>> Just make sure you have the wover jacket type cord.
>
>(WOVEN jacket cord?) As opposed to what kind of cord? And what size do you
>drill the hole in the flange reletive to the cord (my flanges had the metal
>center pins)? I would assume just the "right" size?  Just to make it nice
>and snug, but not requiring desruction of the flange when trying to pull it
>through, i.e. just snug enough so that it won't fall out?
>
>Thanks.

Hi Terry,
             The cord has a woven sleeve, with a bundle of string like
cords running down the centre.  It is sold by the supply houses as damper
flange cord.
  The current centre pin holes may be too small,  Take your cord and see if
it will pull through one of the flanges. If it is too tight you will run
the risk of snapping the yoke of the flange.  So be careful.    The cord
should feel nice and snug as you pull it through.   Measure the thickness
of the cord, then drill the holes out a little under size.  The stretch of
the cord will reduce it's diameter a little,  and make a nice firm fit.
 A sharp razor is the best for trimming the ends.
Make up a little jig with some scrap wood to drill the holes out,  so you
have a flat surface for the side of the flange, and two blocks to slip the
flange between.  Once you are set up you can drill the whole set in 10mins.

Have fun.
Roger.

PS  It's a pain not having the piano in the shop.  PPS  Remember to take
travel paper, you will be sure to need it.