Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:46:26 -0400

Del,
Have you had any problems with the Renner hammer ( non-stapled) pulling =
apart in high humidity regions. In S. Florida I have had 5 sets that we =
installed pulled apart. Obviously the problems were in the low tenor and =
bass and not the top 1/3 of the piano, which I'm assuming is why you =
stop where you do. I too have found that the reduction in touch weight =
far outweighs any concerns for separation in that portion of the =
instrument. But as a safe-guard for me, wires throughout the rest of the =
piano are mandatory.
Tom Servinsky,RPT
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Delwin D Fandrich=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 11:06 PM
  Subject: Re: Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

  =20
    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: Tom Servinsky=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: September 26, 2001 6:30 PM

    David,
    According to Wally Brooks, Brooks LTD, the staple acts as a =
"girdle", helping to keep pressure pushing upwards.  His source of =
information comes straight from Abel.
    Tom Servinsky,RPT
  =20
  Is that why the staples in the last set of Abel hammers I used has a =
noticable gap between the head of the staple and the felt?
  =20
  The staple probably had some tonal effect back in the days when there =
was still some resiliency in hammer felt. It's been some time since =
we've seen much of that in production hammers.
  =20
  I regularly pull them in the upper third to half of a typical hammer =
set so I can remove some of the excess felt most hammers come with.=20
  =20
  Del