damper flange cord, etc.

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 23:03:26 -0600

<Now just push the woven sleeve of the cord back, to expose about 2" of
core,  snip the core.  Now stretch the sleeve out over the core. twirl the
end and apply CA glue on the first inch.  This will give you a nice stiff
needle like end to thread through the holes and spring coil.   Pull through
and trim the ends with a sharp razor.   Done.   You don't need a centre pin
on most damper levers.>

This method can also be used with bushing cloth for flange centers, damper
guide rail holes, grand pedal pivot dowels, etc.   But after pulling the
same length of cord or cloth
through many flanges, it starts to get worn, fuzzy, and dirty, and you have
to make a new "needle" end.

    As for the brass damper lifter rod swing hangers (the brass "thingees"
shaped like a comma) that are found in old uprights -- how come none of the
catalogs have those?  They can't be much harder to make than butt plates or
grand fallboard hardware, and I'd think there'd be at least a small market
for them (granted, they seldom crack, but the cheaper "folded metal" ones
that are offered are nowhere near the quality).
    What bugs me, when rebushing these things or anything where bushing
cloth is pulled tightly through a hole, is that almost all the glue gets
wiped off the cloth as you pull it thru.  For gluing cloth to metal, I've
used Barge or Walther's Goo, which seems to work pretty well--Dave Nereson,
RPT, Denver