Stupefying Pitch Volatility

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 05:55:18 EDT

List,

More of the same:  Today I tuned an 1899 Shiller upright, all original, even
the bridal straps but in good shape.  It was a 3/4 plate, open faced pinblock
design.  It is a *fixture* in this old house on the *organic, whole earth*
side of town where there is no air conditioning and only a few blocks from
the lake.

Air conditioning or not, this is the time of year where temperatures are
moderate, there is lots of rain and windows are open all day and left
slightly open at night.  When the temperature goes down at night, the air
quickly reaches its dewpoint.  Areas of fog (100% humidity) are common.  This
is unfortunate because people want to use their pianos and want them tuned
but it will only be a matter of weeks until sharply colder weather comes on,
the heat goes on and 60% indoor humidity plummits to 30%.

With an admirable record of service, the old Shiller upright's A4 stood on
September 27th at +41 cents.  I mercifully evened out the pitch in a 2 pass
tuning at +24 cents.  No, I didn't *fully inform* the customers who asked me
to leave the bill, they were going for a bicycle ride around the lake.  I
left the bill which charged for "Piano Tuning", my usual, going rate which is
the highest in the area.  I didn't look to see if the plate was cracked
although I didn't see any cracks in the plate when I adjusted the damper
pedal.

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin