good, bad grand actions

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 07:20:36 -0400

Thanks Dave. That was what I was getting at. And my suspicion was that you
are right. You have partially qualified your answer by saying the prep,
alignment, regulation, etc. must be up to par with the Yamaha or Steinway
(good working Steinway, that is). In all fairness I suspect it should be
further qualified, by suggesting that the key wood needs to be of similar
quality, the keyframe needs to be there, no stripped action bracket screws,
rails of similar quality, etc., etc. Basically to make them the same you
will need to make sure everything about them is the same. At the point when
there is no difference between them, then they are the same. And I think
that actually answers my question. The difference between actions, even
though they are so, so similar, and there is not much inherently different
among them, is the cumulated effect of geometry (likely a big one - so many
aspects of that), quality/appropriateness of felt/cloth used, wood in keys
and keyframe, alignment of all parts, design/quality of rails, strippedness
of screws (big deal on cheep actions), etc., etc.

That's what I was getting at: "is there some magical, unexplainable,
somethingotherable, quality about the Bechendorfer or S&S action that
another action could never achieve." The answer is no, but you might have to
reproduce the secondary action fully with high quality parts and at a much
higher level of design and manufacture.

I can sleep now.

Terry Farrell