tuneoff?

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:48:48

Hi all-

I haven't heard much about a tuneoff recently.  What I'd like to see is less
competitive and more informational.  If we accept that the 'best' tuners get
pretty even results, no matter if aural or machine calculated, I think it
would be interesting to see what the 'baseline' tunings of each of the
popular machines are.  I suspect that Mr. Coleman, when tuning by machine
only, uses his SAT in an aural manner; that is, playing a note while the
machine is set to another note.  This would allow the 'reading' of
intervals, though no intervals are being played while tuning.

SOT, SAT 1,2,3, tunelab, tunelab pro, RCT, Verituner, Peterson, Korg....
What kind of tunings do they calculate on their own on average pianos?  That
way, someone who is shopping for an EDT would be able to see what each
machine does just with its built in stretches or custom calculations.

It seems that all the literature says something like "let your ear be the
final authority", so let's see how close these things come, without checks,
and what, if any differences there are between the tuning curves calculated
by each company.

How 'bout it?

Ron Koval
Chicagoland