Unlacquered S&S hammers: was Re: Tensioned hammers and "the staple"

Fri, 28 Sep 2001 14:56:13 -0700

I always bore hammers after filing.  Steinway hammers have had a problem =
with adequate molding length to insure that after boring there is still =
a 1" tail.  Heavy removal of felt off the crown of the hammer shortens =
the overall length of the hammer compounding the problem.

David Love
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: September 28, 2001 12:43 PM
  Subject: Re: Unlacquered S&S hammers: was Re: Tensioned hammers and =
"the staple"

   =20
  David Love wrote:=20

       I have, in the past, attempted to use their hammers without =
lacquer, but I found that in order to get enough tone I had to remove so =
much felt that it created other problems (tail length in particular).=20
    Huh ??? er... what does removing felt have to do with tail length... =
?... or are we talking Bunnies here ?

  --=20
  Richard Brekne=20
  RPT, N.P.T.F.=20