Unlacquered S&S hammers: was Re: Tensioned hammers and"the staple"

jolly roger baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 20:26:00 -0500

>Wait a second.... Let me see if I understand this right... You bore the
>holes... then take off some felt.... and then somehow the hole has
>"moved" down the tails ??

Nah! of coarse not.

>Or are you saying you take off felt first, then bore to the correct
>distance... that would give shorter tails I suppose... but why do it
>that way ? I never take of anything from the top of the hammer when
>filing them down. I just pull off the shoulders makeing more of a
>pointed crown.

 The older Steinway hammers were like pillows and heavily cupped, so I pre
filed them on the bench, and there was not much in the way of tails to play
with.
Roger