Y-C Pramberger Pianos

Paul McCloud pmc333@earthlink.net
Fri, 28 Sep 2001 21:41:14 -0700

Phil, Listers:
    I guess since I work at a dealer that sells them, and having also
formerly had the Steinway franchise, I will take a stab at the
comparison.
    Mr. Pramberger's philosophy regarding the redesigned Young Chang
piano is that he isn't going to start from scratch.  He gave the
presentation Phil mentioned at our store and said he's just changing the
old YC design as needed to improve it.  It is not that they are just
like the S&S.  It is my experience that they are much better than the
"Gold Series" Y.C. in the overall quality and scale design.  The
crossover at the break is very smooth.  The tone is very clear, and the
bass is much improved.  I have seen some quality variance, especially in
the action.  I don't much care for the hammers, which tend to be a bit
lopsided.  They seem to have a lot of tension in them and look crooked
rather than straight on the sides.  Shanks in early models were prone to
twisting.  Damper wires are typically too much leaning to the left and
so friction causes them to hang up, mostly in the upper section where
there aren't any weights in the underlevers.  The quality and
consistency is no where near that of say, Yamaha.
    For the price, they are very good, but are no where close to
(surprise?) a Steinway.   FWIW,
    Paul McCloud
    San Diego

--